Touts mislead Tourists
Mysuru: A group of touts is reportedly misleading tourists in Mysuru with false information about the closure of major attractions and diverting them to shops that pay hefty commissions.
Tourists are being told fabricated stories such as, “The Palace is closed today for Maharaja’s Jayanti celebrations,” “It’s feeding time for animals, so the Zoo is not allowing entry,” and “Chamundi Hill is off-limits as the Chief Minister is visiting and ‘darshan’ has been suspended for a few hours. Using such claims, the touts persuade them to visit specific shops for commission-based business, where they are forced to buy silk sarees, sandalwood products and other items.
Tourists wait for their turn to buy tickets at Mysore Palace ticket counter this morning.
Tourist taken for a ride
The issue came to light recently after a young woman from Mumbai shared her experience on Instagram. On July 26, she was approached outside Mysore Palace by a man who told her that all tourist attractions had been closed owing to Maharaja’s Jayanti celebrations.
Mysore Palace Board makes loudspeaker announcements
Following complaints, the Mysore Palace Board has started making daily announcements through loudspeakers at the Varaha Gate ticket counter in Kannada, Hindi and English, informing tourists that the Palace is open to visitors.
Loudspeakers installed by Palace Board to make announcements for tourists.
The Police have also deployed two Garuda patrol vehicles around the Palace and are keeping a watch on individuals suspected of approaching and misleading tourists.
Tourists and tourism stakeholders have called for stricter action against such touts, saying repeated incidents could tarnish the city’s reputation, particularly as complaints shared on social media can quickly reach visitors planning their trips.
This post was published on August 22, 2026 7:30 pm