Four hotels found violating food safety norms; notices served
Food Safety and Drug Administration officials conducting quality checks at the kitchen in one of the hotels in city.
Mysuru: As part of the ongoing Statewide crackdown on hygiene and quality violations at hotels, restaurants, resorts and other food establishments, Food Safety and Drug Safety officers of the Mysuru City Corporation (MCC) conducted surprise raids at several hotels in the city recently.
The officials, led by Dr S.L. Ravindra, Designated Officer, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), Mysuru City, conducted raids at Grand Mercure, Radisson Blu Plaza, Rio Meridian, Khan Durbar, Q Star and other hotels.
Speaking to Star of Mysore, Dr. Ravindra said the raids were being conducted as per the instructions of the head office in Bengaluru. He added that the officials found several violations of food safety norms at some hotels.
“At Rio Meridian, the oil used for preparing food was being reused several times, causing it to turn black. The freezer used for storing meat was also dysfunctional. Following this, we seized 9 kg of chicken from the hotel,” he said.
At the Grand Mercure Hotel, unbranded chicken was being used, while the hotel authorities had themselves pasted stickers mentioning the date and month of procurement instead of obtaining approval from the Mysuru City Corporation.
Dr. Ravindra said the Regenta Central Hotel did not have proper documents related to its kitchen and food preparation.
He also said that the conditions at Khan Durbar were unhygienic and its freezer was dysfunctional. During the raid at Radisson Blu Plaza, the officials found no violations. However, as they had doubts about the fish kebab, samples were collected and sent for testing.
Officials said that, except Radisson Blu Plaza, all the other hotels mentioned above were found to be in violation of Schedule 4 guidelines of the FSSAI, which lays down mandatory hygiene and sanitary requirements for food businesses under the Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011.
Dr. Ravindra said the seized food items had been sent to a laboratory for testing and notices had been served on four hotels.
The team that conducted the raids included Assistant Food Safety Officers Girish, Rajesh and Balasubramanyam, along with other staff.
This post was published on August 17, 2026 7:30 pm