That the State Government is coming up with Rs.173 crore Super-Speciality Hospital in city is a good news indeed (SOM dated Sept. 8). However, the decision to locate this eight-storeyed building within the K.R.Hospital complex is certainly not a wise decision on the following grounds:
- K.R.Hospital Complex is already a congested area in terms of Building Blocks to open space ratio. One should see how patients find it very difficult to move around various sections.
- K.R.Hospital Complex has been losing its vast open space with the establishment of Children’s Hospital, Surgical Block, Cardiology Block, Emergency Block and the extension of building providing Pathology, X-ray and other facilities. The proposed Complex will add a large volume of visitors at the very centre of this congested area.
- Moreover, the number of vehicles of doctors and visitors entering the hospital is so large that the available open space is lost to provide for parking. So much so the ambulances are seen parked in a row across the Hospital Complex on Sayyaji Rao Road.
- Even now medical students cross Irwin Road from the Mysore Medical College to reach various sections of this Complex at great risk to their life and limb. As the morgue is located in the College premises, shifting of bodies across this road is a herculean task even with the present volume of traffic. 5. Since this Complex is located in the heart of the Central Business District with roads on all four sides, it suffers from intense vehicular traffic all around it. 6. One can see the Ambulances coming from all directions to the Hospital Complex, but getting stuck in heavy traffic jams.
- As this is the District’s only large Government Hospital, it has been attracting patients in large numbers. The Hospital is not a commercial complex, it should be provided with proper open spaces at appropriate places from the point of view of hygiene and environment.
What is wrong with our planners? Can’t they see the above staring facts? When will the decision-makers come out of their ostrich-like attitude? Can’t one remember the fact that K.R. Hospital Complex was provided when the population of the city was a minuscule?
It is time that the authorities concerned and the so-called people’s representatives take early note and avoid this unwise decision, which may turn out to be wasteful with the passage of time. The proposed Super Speciality Hospital should be located near the Ring Road with large open space around this eight-floor building.
– R. Chandra Prakash, Mysuru, 20.9.2017
You can also mail us your views, opinions, and stories to [email protected]