Mysuru: A pourakarmika, who was digging a pit, died of electrocution at Udbur village in the taluk on May 9.
The deceased has been identified as Manju (28), a resident of Doora village in Nanjangud taluk.
Manju, who had joined as a pourakarmika in Udbur village about six months ago was engaged in digging a pit behind a public toilet in the village when the iron crowbar he was using to dig the pit, came in contact with the underground power cable electrocuting him, resulting in Manju being killed on the spot.
Jayapura Police, who rushed to the spot, conducted mahazar, shifted the body to MMC&RI mortuary for post-mortem, besides registering a case. The body was handed over to the family members later.
CESC authorities and Mysuru taluk tahsildar visited the spot and collected details.
Meanwhile, Nagaraju, President of Mysuru District GP Pourakarmikas Association, holding the Panchayat Development Officer (PDO) and Executive Officer (EO) responsible for the death of Manju due to their negligence has demanded job to the wife of Manju who is having two children and is five months pregnant on compensation grounds.
He said that as per Government order, pourakarmikas cannot clean the septic pit alone but should undertake the cleaning works in the presence of the PDO and by using machines.
He alleged that though there is a rule to pay a monthly salary of Rs. 13,000 to a pourakarmika, Manju was being paid a salary of only Rs. 7,000 and urged the Government to help the family of Manju, who was the lone bread earner in the family.