GSTN or Goods and Sales Tax Number is now necessary for business or individual service providers in India. The Government of India issues the GST number to businesses, individuals, and organizations. Especially MSMEs and SMEs. One can get their own GST number or a GST number for their businesses after registering on the government portal.
Each business taxpayer is entitled to get their exclusive GST Number from the Government. The numerical code and the GST certificate should be displayed in the owner or the organization’s primary business site or the partners. Here is the detailed information on the GST format-
- Each GST alpha-numbers total 15 digits and is the combination of the state code and PAN number of the GST holder.
- The first two numbers are the state code followed by a ten-digit PAN number of the individual business owner or the business organization.
- The 13Th digit is the number of roc registration done by the particular business entity. For example, if a business has only one business site, it will be 1. For more than one site, the number is equal to the business dwellings.
- The next digit is “Z.”
- The 15th digit is known as the check code. It can be a numeric value or an alphabet.
Advantages and Disadvantage of GST
GSTN is now compulsory for any business. This number often works as the unique identification code for theta business. It has offered many benefits to the busiest holders.
Here are the advantages of gst–
- GST offers technological support to the government law and allows to simplify the whole tax system for the benefit of the businesses.
- GSTN has allowed small and medium scale industries to ensure they can file their business tax independently. Such organizations can now avail the special tax filing procedure without a tax consultant’s help if their annual turnover is below 1.5 crore rupees.
- GST has allowed the Government to ensure each business has its own identity and can be easily identified during any transaction.
- The GST number acts as the legal permission for a business. It legalizes the organization or owner as a supplier or a goods or a provider of some services. This provides them a proper identity and helps to design a trusted aura around their bands. Hene, brands can get more consumers.
- GSTN allows businesses to remain afloat in the competitive field and get proper business growth.
Despite these advantages of gst, it also has some shortcomings like-
- The GST refund procedure is complicated. It often takes time, and the refund may only reflect your account after two or three months. It can cause delays in different business sectors, especially the Export and Import sector.
- The Government at present allows IT return on a provisional basis against the credit recipient. Their IT return procedure is still complicated, and some business holders may not grasp everything.
Overall, the gst number is essential for businesses if they want to continue growing their brand under the protection of the Indian Government. This unique alphanumeric code can help SMEs and MSMEs to gain many advantages in their business field.