Gundlupet: In separate incidents, a 12-year-old-boy and a cow died, after they were struck by lightning and a 22-year-old youth died of electrocution in Gundlupet yesterday afternoon.
In the first incident, a boy, who had gone with his father to their field yesterday afternoon, was severely injured when lightning struck him while he was removing weeds in the field. Though he was rushed to a hospital, he breathed his last after failing to respond to the treatment.
The unfortunate victim has been identified as Manu (12), son of Shivarajegowda and a resident of Tenkalahundi village in the taluk who was studying in sixth standard at Government Higher Primary School at Honnashettarahundi village. Shivarajegowda, who suffered severe burn injuries, has been admitted to the General Hospital in the town.
In the second incident, lightning struck a cow of one Siddashetty of Bheemanabeedu village who was grazing it at his field yesterday afternoon, killing the cow worth about Rs. 50,000. Siddashetty has suffered severe burn injuries and is undergoing treatment at the General Hospital in the town.
In the third incident, Gopal (22), a resident of Mukhahalli Colony, died after being electrocuted through decorative lights which was put up for Maramma festival at the temple in the village.
Gopal, who fell unconscious after being electrocuted, was rushed to the General Hospital, but was declared ‘Brought Dead’ by the doctors.
Tahsildar K. Siddu, who visited the hospital, enquired the health of the injured besides collecting information from the family members and relatives of deceased Manu and Gopal besides assuring them of providing compensation to the deceased and money for the treatment of the injured from the Govt.