Rs. 1.02 cr. con
News, Top Stories

Rs. 1.02 cr. con

August 23, 2026

Two senior citizens lose hard-earned savings

Mysuru: Two senior citizens in Mysuru city have lost a total of Rs. 1.02 crore, their hard-earned money, to cyber fraudsters in two separate incidents.

In one case, a senior citizen was cheated of Rs. 53.50 lakh after fraudsters, posing as a telecom officer and a CBI officer, claimed that his personal documents had been misused for illegal transactions. In the other case, a 79-year-old man was duped of Rs. 48.50 lakh in an online investment fraud.

In the first case, the complainant, a resident of Telecom Layout in Bogadi, received a phone call on Aug. 17 from a person who introduced himself as Abhijit K. Sahoo, a ‘telecom officer.’

The caller claimed that the complainant’s personal documents were being misused for illegal activities.

CBI officer

Later the same day, another person, identifying himself as Sandeep Rao, contacted the complainant through a WhatsApp video call and claimed to be a CBI officer. He alleged that the complainant’s documents had been used to open a bank account, obtain an ATM card and misuse a SIM card.

The caller further claimed that a money-laundering case involving Rs. 2 crore had been registered, alleging that the money had been transferred from the complainant’s bank account and commissions received. He told the complainant that an inquiry was required and warned him not to leave his home or disclose the matter to anyone.

On Aug. 18, another WhatsApp video call was made by a person, identifying himself as Pranav Dayal. He told the complainant that his bank account needed to be verified and instructed him to transfer funds from his fixed deposits.

Acting on the instructions, the complainant transferred Rs. 42 lakh to an IDFC Bank account on Aug. 19. On Aug. 21, he transferred another Rs. 11.50 lakh to an ICICI Bank account. In all, Rs. 53.50 lakh was transferred from his Canara Bank account.

The complainant later learnt from officials at his bank’s head office that he had been defrauded. He immediately dialled 1930 and lodged a complaint with the Mysuru City CEN Police.

Rs. 48.50 lakh lost in investment fraud

In another incident, a 79-year-old resident of Lalitha Mahal Nagar lost Rs. 48.50 lakh after being lured into an online trading investment scheme.

According to the complaint registered at the City CEN Police Station, the victim received a message from an unknown number on an ‘HDFC Security WhatsApp Group’ on July 21.

He opened an application link provided in the message and entered his personal details. The fraudsters then instructed him to invest money through platform. Following their instructions, he invested a total of Rs. 48.50 lakh in several transactions between July 23 and Aug. 14.

When he later tried to withdraw the money, he received no response. Suspecting that he had been cheated, he approached HDFC Bank officials, who informed him that he had fallen victim to a fraud. A case has been registered at the City CEN Police Station and an investigation is underway.

ABOUT

Mysuru’s favorite and largest circulated English evening daily has kept the citizens of Mysuru informed and entertained since 1978. Over the past 45 years, Star of Mysore has been the newspaper that Mysureans reach for every evening to know about the happenings in Mysuru city. The newspaper has feature rich articles and dedicated pages targeted at readers across the demographic spectrum of Mysuru city. With a readership of over 2,50,000 Star of Mysore has been the best connection between it’s readers and their leaders; between advertisers and customers; between Mysuru and Mysureans.

CONTACT

Academy News Papers Private Limited, Publishers, Star of Mysore & Mysuru Mithra, 15-C, Industrial ‘A’ Layout, Bannimantap, Mysuru-570015. Phone no. – 0821 249 6520

To advertise on Star of Mysore, email us at

Online Edition: [email protected]
Print Editon: [email protected]
For News/Press Release: [email protected]