This refers to the letter titled “Improve infrastructure at Vivekanandanagar Library” (SOM dated Nov. 22) by R. Sandhya of Srirampura.
- Though the City Central Library is housed in a decent building belonging to the Mysuru City Corporation (MCC), the furniture accommodated like extra counter will be removed soon so that the readers can move conveniently.
- As the electricity line is provided by the MCC, the lights have been placed accordingly and additional connections will be provided in co-ordination with the City Corporation.
- During every academic year each branch in-charge will weed out books and newspapers, and new books will be placed in the racks.
- As regards to English dailies, we receive requests from public-cum-users of the libraries concerned; their demands for whatever newspapers and magazines irrespective of the language will be supplied.
- At present Vivekanandanagar Library branch is receiving 19 Kannada dailies, 9 English dailies, 30 fortnightly and monthly Kannada magazines and 19 English fortnightly and monthly magazines. So apart from this if any request from public comes, the same will be supplied at the earliest. As per Karnataka Public Library Act 1965 Sec 28(1) we have formed Branch Committees for each library.
- The direction board to the Library has been installed by the City Corporation, so we will approach the MCC for necessary action.
- CCTV has been already installed, since then we have not received any complaints regarding lifting of newspapers and magazines.
- As regards providing signboard to old newspapers, action will be initiated at the earliest. Due to lack of space, entire library services is accommodated in the ground floor, hence the old paper section is accommodated near the entrance only. If the MCC provides first floor of this building we will provide newspaper section over there.
– Deputy Director, City Central Library, Mysuru 28.11.2017
You can also mail us your views, opinions, and stories to [email protected]