Deepavali, the festival of lights and crackers is here. The fervour with which we celebrate the festival, the same precaution need to be taken while bursting fire-crackers. Here I would like to mention the dangers of injury to eye due to crackers and the precautions that need to be taken to prevent eye injuries.
DAMAGES TO THE EYE: Damages to the eye is due to wholesome of mechanical, thermal and chemical factors. Many eye injuries are mild as charring of eye-lashes or burns of eyelids. Some may be very serious with high impact injuries. Bleeding in the eye, tear in the eye-globe, deep seating of foreign bodies in the eye, traumatic cataract can impair vision to variable extent.
PRECAUTIONS: Following precautions need to be taken:
- Parental supervision needed for kids all the time.
- Maintain safe distance from fire-crackers while bursting.
- Wear protective eye wear.
- Avoid attempting to reignite a failed cracker.
- Be aware and alert about cracker malfunction.
FIRST AID: After the accident, rinse the eye out as soon as you can. Use clean cool water or sterile saline solution. While cleaning the eye blink to make sure the water rinses every part of your eyes. Never rub or apply pressure on your eye. If one has worn contact lens, remove them. Gently cover the injured eye with a clean cloth and seek medical attention immediately.
– Dr. Kavita Vadi, Consultant Neuro Ophthalmology Services, Mysuru, 6.11.2018
You can also mail us your views, opinions, and stories to [email protected]