50 take ill; three admitted to hospital and recovering
Malavalli: More than 50 devotees took ill and three of them got admitted to a hospital after reportedly consuming ‘prasada’ distributed at Maramma Temple in Lingapattana village, Halagur hobli of Malavalli taluk.
On Tuesday morning, a family had organised a puja at the Temple and distributed puliyogare as prasada to the devotees in the evening. But on Wednesday morning, a few people vomited and complained of severe stomach ache and were rushed to a Primary Health Centre (PHC).
Following the incident, Malavalli Taluk Health Officer (THO) Dr. Veerabhadrappa and Tahsildar K. Chandramouli visited the village where a few more complained of illness after which the THO summoned more medical staff from Malavalli and conducted a health check-up at Lingapattana Government School for more than 50 persons. Among them, 13 were administered Intravenous (IV) fluids and discharged while three others including a girl were admitted to Malavalli Government Hospital for treatment.
District Health Officer (DHO) Dr. Manchegowda, speaking to SOM, said that those admitted to the Government Hospital are recovering while the rest were treated as out-patients. He further said that there was no need to panic besides stating that the incident was not intentional.
It is learnt that the puliyogare prasada was prepared in the morning and the same was distributed in the evening. As the prasada was prepared in the morning, it may have got spoiled by the evening. As a precautionary measure, the Health Department staff visited the village and conducted an inspection.
Meanwhile, Malavalli Dy.SP Pruthvi told SOM that no case has been registered at Halagur Police Station in this regard and added that the incident was not intentional but due to negligence.
She further said that if any person who had taken ill file a complaint, a case on negligence will be registered, but no one has lodged a complaint till now, the Dy.SP added.
Meanwhile, MLA K. Annadani, who visited the Taluk Hospital this morning, enquired the health of those admitted there.
This incident reminds people of Kichuguth Sulwadi Maramma Temple prasada poisoning case, where over 17 persons died and more than 120 fell ill after consuming pesticide-laced prasada at the Temple on Dec. 14, 2018.