Dog swallows needle, gives owners a scare

Dog swallows needle, gives owners a scare

January 29, 2023

Emergency surgery to retrieve sharp object saves life

Mysuru: A Golden Retriever, which had accidentally swallowed a sewing needle recently, has been successfully treated by the veterinarian of a pet clinic in the city.

Sowmya Praveen, a TV actress and a resident of Vijayanagar 4th Stage, has a one-year-old male Golden Retriever named Krishna, which had picked up the needle and the thread attached to it and swallowed it. As she saw the dog gulping the sharp object, she rushed him to Dr. H.V. Deepak of Shree Pet Clinic in Vijayanagar 4th Stage and informed the veterinarian about the incident.

Dog swallows needle gives owners a scare
The dog after operation

The X-Ray showed that the needle was lodged in the pet’s stomach. A surgical team headed by Dr. Deepak and Dr. Nikith operated the pet as the needle was life-threatening. “Being a metallic sharp foreign body in the stomach, there was every chance of the needle piercing the surrounding organs like lungs, liver and pancreas,” Dr. Deepak told Star of Mysore.

Dog swallows needle gives owners a scare
Needle and thread removed after surgery.

The needle can certainly lodge in other places, can perforate the gut and can do a great deal of damage as it travels through. The surgical team performed the emergency procedure for two hours and the needle along with thread were retrieved from Krishna’s stomach. “After 10 days of post-operative care, Krishna is now back with the family and he has recovered fully,” Dr. Deepak said.

Sowmya Praveen said that her pet has recovered fully. “Thanks to the immediate surgical procedure, he is fine now. Fortunately, I was there when the Golden Retriever swallowed the needle and I could act without delay. He is as usual playful, healthy and naughty now as before after recuperating,” she revealed.

In a word of caution, Dr. Deepak said that pet parents must keep sharp metal objects and toxic substances away from pets and have to monitor their activities to avoid such accidents which could eventually turn fatal. The entire family needs to be vigilant on hiding items the dog might possibly swallow.

“We receive a number of cases where the pets have consumed disinfectants and other objects in the house,” Dr. Deepak added.


Mysuru’s favorite and largest circulated English evening daily has kept the citizens of Mysuru informed and entertained since 1978. Over the past 45 years, Star of Mysore has been the newspaper that Mysureans reach for every evening to know about the happenings in Mysuru city. The newspaper has feature rich articles and dedicated pages targeted at readers across the demographic spectrum of Mysuru city. With a readership of over 2,50,000 Star of Mysore has been the best connection between it’s readers and their leaders; between advertisers and customers; between Mysuru and Mysureans.


Academy News Papers Private Limited, Publishers, Star of Mysore & Mysuru Mithra, 15-C, Industrial ‘A’ Layout, Bannimantap, Mysuru-570015. Phone no. – 0821 249 6520

To advertise on Star of Mysore, email us at

Online Edition: [email protected]
Print Editon: [email protected]
For News/Press Release: [email protected]