Somwarpet: An elephant, aged about eight years, has died after coming in contact with a solar fence at Areyurunegalle village in Nerugalale Gram Panchayat limits on Saturday night.
The carcass of the elephant was found with its trunk stuck to the fence at the agricultural land of Poovaiah.
One Negalle Avinash, who had grown ginger crop in the land of Poovaiah, had installed solar fence around the land to protect the crop from wild animals.
But when a herd of elephants from Yadavanadu Reserve Forest was crossing the fence, the trunk of the eight-year-old elephant got stuck to the electric fence and was electrocuted.
Somwarpet Range Forest Officer (RFO) Shama visited the spot and has taken further action. Veterinary Department Assistant Director Dr. S.V. Badami conducted the post-mortem.
It may be recalled that a wild elephant aged about 40 years, which had strayed out of the forest in search of food and water, died of electrocution after it came in contact with an illegal electric fence near Alathur village at Bandipur Reserve Forest in the taluk recently.
One Jagannath had fenced his field and had drawn power illegally to protect his groundnut crops from wild animals.
The Forest Department, which had registered a case, is on a lookout for the accused who is absconding.