‘Karmika Samman Divas’: Workers from unorganised and other sectors honoured

‘Karmika Samman Divas’: Workers from unorganised and other sectors honoured

March 10, 2020

Mysore/Mysuru: Over a hundred workers from unorganised and other sectors were honoured on ‘Karmika Samman Divas’ on Sunday, at a programme jointly organised by the District Administration, Zilla Panchayat, Labour Department and Karnataka State Unorganised Worker Social Security Board at Sarada Vilas College Centenary Hall in Krishnamurthypuram. 

Out of the 100 workers, 36 workers were presented with ‘Shrama Samman’ awards by Mayor Tasneem, for their outstanding achievements in their respective fields.

Speaking after inaugurating the programme, Deputy Labour Commissioner Ravikumar said that while 20 percent of the working class were organised, the remaining 80 percent belong to the unorganised sector in the State. Noting that Government welfare measures were reaching only to the organised labour sector, he said that the State and Central Governments taking note of this, have launched many social security schemes targeting the unorganised working class.

Ravikumar further said that while organised workers celebrate ‘May Day’, the Government  has announced ‘Karmika Samman Divas’ for the unorganised sector.

Assistant Labour Commissioner A.C. Thammanna said that 3,367 unorganised workers out of the 5,468 applicants have been issued ID cards by the Department.  Also, the Government is promoting ‘PMSYM’ pension scheme, which enables workers from the unorganised sector to get certain facilities, he said and called upon the workers to be informed of  all the facilities and benefits extended to them by the Government.

A total of 100 workers from unorganised sectors such as Washermen, Hairdressers, Goldsmiths, Pottery-makers, Hamalis, Tailors, Kiln workers, Auto-mechanics, Domestic workers, Vehicle drivers, etc., were honoured and presented a cheque of Rs.1,000 each. 

Also, 36 outstanding workers from different sectors were felicitated on the occasion by Mayor Tasneem. 12 of them were presented with a gold medal worth Rs.15,000 each, 12 with a silver medal worth Rs. 10,000 each and 12 others with a silver medal worth Rs. 8,000 each.

Labour Officer S.M. Manjuladevi, Mysuru District Luxury Taxi Stand Owners and Drivers Association President Ayub Pasha, Daily Wage Labourers and Workers Association President Pramod Chikkamagalur, Savitha Samaja President Nagendra and others were present.


Mysuru’s favorite and largest circulated English evening daily has kept the citizens of Mysuru informed and entertained since 1978. Over the past 45 years, Star of Mysore has been the newspaper that Mysureans reach for every evening to know about the happenings in Mysuru city. The newspaper has feature rich articles and dedicated pages targeted at readers across the demographic spectrum of Mysuru city. With a readership of over 2,50,000 Star of Mysore has been the best connection between it’s readers and their leaders; between advertisers and customers; between Mysuru and Mysureans.


Academy News Papers Private Limited, Publishers, Star of Mysore & Mysuru Mithra, 15-C, Industrial ‘A’ Layout, Bannimantap, Mysuru-570015. Phone no. – 0821 249 6520

To advertise on Star of Mysore, email us at

Online Edition: [email protected]
Print Editon: [email protected]
For News/Press Release: [email protected]