Old DC Office now photo-shoot spot
Feature Articles, Top Stories

Old DC Office now photo-shoot spot

February 22, 2026
  • Proposed museum plan at vacant heritage building yet to become a reality
  • CM Siddaramaiah had allocated Rs. 30 crore for museum in 2025-2026 Budget

Photo shoots in Mysuru have found a new address: The Old Deputy Commissioner’s (DC) Office building, a prominent heritage structure in the heart of the city.

With plans to convert the Wadiyar-era structure into a museum under the Centre’s Swadesh Darshan 2.0 scheme yet to take off, the unused building has increasingly become a favoured spot for pre-wedding photo shoots and advertisement film shoots by professional photographers.

While stretches around the Mysore Palace are occasionally used for photo shoots during early morning hours due to traffic restrictions during peak time, the Old DC Office premises have now emerged as an alternative location.

Several couples reportedly visit the site early in the morning for pre-wedding shoots before Police and security personnel arrive. The issue drew the attention of authorities on Feb. 14 during one such shoot and it ended abruptly. Those involved were issued a stern warning and fined.

Despite the action, shooting activities appear to have resumed. Yesterday, an advertisement film was being shot on the heritage premises, raising concern among heritage activists over the lack of regulation and protection.

Proposal only on paper

The DC Office was shifted to the new District-level Office Complex at Siddarthanagar in June 2023. Since then, there have been repeated calls to repurpose the vacant heritage building as a museum, considering its historical significance. However, the proposal remains on paper.

READ ALSO  War Museum proposal mooted for Old DC Office

A Detailed Project Report (DPR) titled ‘Adaptive Reuse of Old Deputy Commissioner’s Office Building and Development of an Art Precinct in Mysuru’ was also prepared, but there has been little progress towards implementation.

In the Karnataka Budget 2025-26, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah allocated Rs. 30 crore to transform the building into a State-level museum. However, here too, no progress has been achieved.

No heritage preservation

The imposing structure, built in 1895 on Krishnaraja Boulevard, is a 130-year-old heritage landmark. Constructed during the reign of Chamaraja Wadiyar X, the 23rd Maharaja of Mysore, it was originally intended to host meetings of the Mysore Representative Assembly.

The building is dedicated to Sir James Davidson Gordon, who served as Chief Commissioner of Mysore State from 1878 to 1881, the year the kingdom was restored to the Wadiyars. A statue of Gordon stands in front of the building, facing Maharani’s College Road.

Once the nerve centre of district administration under successive Dewans, the grand structure today wears a neglected look.

With little oversight, it has at times been misused for photo shoots, late-night gatherings and other unauthorised activities by anti-social elements, hoodwinking the Police, further intensifying concerns over the preservation of one of the city’s key heritage assets.

Heritage expert urges DC to put an end to photo shoots

Retired Professor of Ancient History and Archaeology at the University of Mysore, Prof. N.S. Rangaraju, who is also a member of the District Heritage Committee, has strongly objected to the unauthorised photo shoots being conducted at the Old Deputy Commissioner’s Office building.

READ ALSO  Old DC Office Museum plan gains momentum

Speaking to Star of Mysore, he said that earlier such shoots were held on Albert Victor Road, Ashoka Road and at 10th Chamaraja Wadiyar Circle. “Police took strict action and the shoots stopped there. Now, the Old DC Office has become the new destination,” he said.

Prof. Rangaraju urged the Deputy Commissioner to immediately issue orders banning photo shoots at all heritage monuments in Mysuru without proper authorisation.

“Otherwise, this will turn into a menace and create a bad impression about Mysuru. Since this amounts to unauthorised intrusion, the safety of the structure is not guaranteed and those responsible for any damage may go unpunished,” he warned.

Calling the trend unfortunate, he said it was disheartening to see an illustrious heritage structure becoming a victim of a photo shoot craze. “I appeal to the Deputy Commissioner and the Mysuru City Police Commissioner to put brakes on this menace,” he added.

ABOUT

Mysuru’s favorite and largest circulated English evening daily has kept the citizens of Mysuru informed and entertained since 1978. Over the past 45 years, Star of Mysore has been the newspaper that Mysureans reach for every evening to know about the happenings in Mysuru city. The newspaper has feature rich articles and dedicated pages targeted at readers across the demographic spectrum of Mysuru city. With a readership of over 2,50,000 Star of Mysore has been the best connection between it’s readers and their leaders; between advertisers and customers; between Mysuru and Mysureans.

CONTACT

Academy News Papers Private Limited, Publishers, Star of Mysore & Mysuru Mithra, 15-C, Industrial ‘A’ Layout, Bannimantap, Mysuru-570015. Phone no. – 0821 249 6520

To advertise on Star of Mysore, email us at

Online Edition: [email protected]
Print Editon: [email protected]
For News/Press Release: [email protected]