By S.B.S. Surendran
Although the science of Feng Shui mainly focuses on the design aspect, movement of energy and countering ill effects due to environmental aggressions, the subtle aspects of this science also includes decor, feel and comfort of a place.
For the occupants of a space, the comfort they derive from their sensory system contributes immensely towards their thinking, living and prosperity. It could be visible, aural, touch, taste or smell. Of all these, smell has a strong impact and the level of discomfort is quite strong. Imagine living in a space which has a strong stench, it would make breathing difficult for the occupants.
By using subtle Feng Shui skills, we can create a living space which not only smells good but healthy and harmonious too. Aroma, incense sticks and oils can be used to create a good atmosphere and some oils can be specifically used to activate or control certain aspirations in our lives.
Each space in the home and each room has a specific purpose when Feng Shui is adapted in its totality. It is well known that bedroom is meant for sleep and relationship, family room is the space for spending time with the family and free of stress and tension. By adding the appropriate aroma, each of these rooms can be made to create the right feeling and activate the sensory system for maximum benefit.
In a home, bathrooms need the aroma which can kill the bacteria and prevent ailments whereas kitchen is the space which focuses on family health is of great importance. The energy in a kitchen is quite strong with active fire, water and metal combining while cooking is in progress, the Chi energy could also tend to stagnate if the energy is not in balance. Citrus essential oils are a fabulous way to help ‘shake up’ the flow of stagnant Chi in your kitchen.
One can explore various ways to create a nice smelling home and in turn enhance the Feng Shui of the space.
- Use live herbs like mint to create a subtle but natural fragrance and you can also place live flowers like lavender or roses in a vase.
- Place aroma burners or incense sticks in corners of the living and close to main door and allow it to slowly permeate through the home.
- Use chamomile or lavender essential oils in an oil diffuser if you have kids who are rigid and difficult to handle. They can calm down the attitude of the kids.
- To work late hours or while driving long hours, rosemary, peppermint or lemongrass can assist in keeping you focused.
- Sandalwood or Ylang-ylang, jasmine can activate relationship and romance luck and is ideal for bedrooms.
Feng Shui is an art and science of creating the right atmosphere, balance and feel. Hence, adapting specific oils, aroma or scent can be more beneficial as it empowers the design aspect of the Feng Shui of the home further