Designed by the English Architect, Henry Irwin, the Mysuru Palace dominates the skyline of Mysuru. A three storied structure in the Indo-Saracenic style built between 1897-1912, the palace has beautifully designed square towers at cardinal points, covered with domes. The Durbar Hall with its ornate ceiling and sculpted pillars and the Kalyanamantapa (Marriage Pavilion) with its glazed tiled flooring and stained glass, domed ceiling are worth noting. Intricately carved doors, the golden howdah (elephant seat),paintings as well as the fabulous, jewel encrusted golden throne (displayed during Dasara) are amongst the palace’s other treasures. The walled palace complex houses the Residential Museum (incorporating some of the Palace’s living quarters),temples and shrines including the Shwetha Varahaswamy temple. The palace is illuminated on Sundays, Public Holidays as well as during the Dasara Celebrations when 97,000 electric bulbs are used to illuminate it.
Timings:10 AM- 5.30 PM daily,Public Holidays :7 PM – 8 PM
Illumination Timings: 7 PM – 7.30 PM Sundays& Public Holidays
Entrance Fee:Adults : Rs. 20, Children(5-10 yrs.) : Rs. 10
Contact: +91821 2421 051
The hill is 3,489ft. above the sea levels and is 12 km from Mysuru city. An energetic visitor will be well repaid by climbing up the 1000 steps, fashioned about 300 years ago, and a good motorable road leads to the top of the hill. The largest and the best know is the large Dravidian Temple, dedicates to Sri Chamundeshwari Devi, the tutelary deity of Mysuru and here royal house, generally regarded as an incarnation of Parvati or Durga. One account claims that the Goddess slew two demons, Chanda and Munda , so winning for herself a name combined of both. But the more usually accepts version speaks of here as Chamundi – Mahishasura – Mardini, the slayer of minotaur.
She is therefore the household deity of the town named in (Maheshaputra) commemoration Maisa(baffalo),uru(town) her image on the hill bestrides a lion, and has twenty hands. It is said that Raja Wodeyar (about 1600 AD) intended to build a gopura, and for that purpose erected four large pillar posts, which were removed when the present gopura was built by Krishnaraja Wodeyar III. He built a gopura with golden finials, and set up statues of himself and his 3 queens in the presence of the Goddess. In 1827 he made arrangement for festivals and processions. In 143 he presented the simhavahana and other cars.
Darshana and Pooja Timings: 7:30 PM to 2:00 PM, 3:30 PM to 6:00 PM, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Contact: 08212590 027
THE SACRED BULL
Half a top of the hill you may reachthe bull in a few minutes. Fashioned says legend, in one night, out of the basalt of the hill, this recumbent colossal Nandi (the vehicle of Shiva) was a gift of Dodda Deva Raja. Over 25 ft long and 4.8 mt high (16ft high), adorned with ropes, chains, bells and jewels of stone, the bull with half shut eyes, which seem, in yogic fashion.
Mysuru Zoo (Chamarajendra Zoological Garden) was started in 1892 by chamaraja Wodeyar X, then the king of Mysuru. Initially as a private Zoo, and was named as Khas-Bangale. It was also called as Thamash Bangle. The Zoo which has now spread over an area of 250 acres was initially ment for the exclusive visit of the royal family but public entry started as early as 1920. It is located inside the city unlike many other Zoos in India and Mysuru Zoo is considered to be one of the best in the world.
The Zoo has about 1500 animals, ranging from the opossum to orangutan. This Zoo houses a wide range of animals. Mysuru Zoo was the first in the country to obtain gorilla and penguin’s. Many animals which are imported from countries like Africa, America, and Australian countries under conservation project due to the successful breeding of the white tiger. It is also credited with achieving considerable break-through in captive breeding of many animals. elephants also breed well in captivity in this Zoo.
The Zoo has a small museum which exhibits the stuffed animals. A small library is also located in the Zoo. Painting and essay competitions are periodically conducted by the zoo authority the children to create awareness and love in them for animals.
Ms.Sally Walker (USA) started the friends of Mysuru Zoo (FMZ) in 1980. At present there is a scheme for ‘Adopting’ an animal. Which means you can take care of the feeding expenses of an animal for a certain of time. Karanji Lake is a part of Mysuru Zoo. The lake attracts about 45 varieties of birds; some of the birds migrate here from too far aways places. The lake has been renovated recently and boating facility is also available.
Timings: 8.30 AM to 5.30 PM | Tuesday holiday
Entrance Fee: Adults Rs.25/ | Children (5-12 yrs.) Rs.10/-
St. Philomena's Church
This Roman Catholic Church was built in AD 1840. It was initially known as St. Joseph Chaver which later assumed the present name. The twin towers of the church stand majestically at 175 feet, the design is gothic and it is said to resemble the St. Patrick’s cathedral at New York and a church at Cologne. The church is located about I km from Mysuru Palace on the Bangalore highway. The then king of Mysuru Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV laid the foundation for construction of the church in 1933. It has been designed a French Architect.
The stained glass windows, made in France, overlooking the apse, showing the Birth of Christ, Baptism of Christ by St.John the last supper and the crucifixion of Christ are works of art. The altar bears the statue of St.Philomina a 3rd century saint from Greece. This church is considered to be the most beautiful in Karnataka. The church has a celler where there is a statue of St.Philomina was a holy saint during the 3rd ventury in Greece, in a reclining posture. A piece of her bone and cloths are in this church.
Timings: 5.00 AM to 6.00 PM (all the days), Entry Free
Contact:0821 256 3148
Brindavan Garden (KRS-Krishna Raja Sagar)
The Krishnaraja Sagar reservoir across the legendary Cauvery River is round 18km north-west of Mysuru. The Brindavan Gardens are located just a level below the dam.Often described as the best example of illuminated terrace gardens in the country, the idea was brainchild of Sir M.Visveshwaraiah and Sir Mirza M ismail, former Devans of Mysuru. The overall design here displays an orientation of Mughal patterns-with garden paths and a shimmering necklace of fountains.On the South bank there is a pavilion, where visitors can get a breathtaking view of the gardens. Other highlights at the gardens include a children’s park, a fisheries station and a hydraulic research station. Adding a touch of sanctity to the place is a beautiful sculpture of Goddess Cauvery at the foot of the dam.
Garden Timings: All Week Days: 6.00 AM to 8.00 PM
Music Fountain Show: All Week Days: 6.30 PM to 7.30 PM
Saturdays and Sundays: 6.30 PM to 8.30 PM
Admission Fee: Adult Rs. 15, Children (5 to 10 yrs.) Rs.5
Contact:080 2657 9231
Karanji Lake Mysuru
Picturesquely located at the foot of Chamundi hills and adjascent to the Mysuru Zoo, the Karanji lake is a beautiful bird sanctuary in the heart of Mysuru City which provides a wonderful habitat for more than 70 different species of avifauna. The recently re-developed lake, spanning across 90 acres has a butterfly park, boating, children’s corner, a watch tower and India’s largest walkthrough aviary.
Timings: 08.30 AM to 05.30 PM Except on Tuesdays. Entrance fee
Entrance Fee: Adult Rs. 10, Children(5-10 yrs.): Rs. 5
Nanjangud, one of the ancient and well-known pilgrimage centers of Karnataka is at a distance of about 25kms from Mysore and is famous for its temple dedicated to Shiva described as Nanjundeshwara. Nanjunda means one who has consumed poison and this legend relates to the churing of the ocean when Shiva had to consume haalahala. Nanjunda became Vishakanta and also Srikanta for having digested it. Hence the deity is also known as Srikanteshwara, one cures diseases. The town is situated on the banks of the Kapila or Kabini River where a dip in its waters on any momentous occasion is considered to be more meritotious than a dip in the Ganges. It is therefore hailed as Dakshina Kashi. In addition, the waters and the soil around the banks are believed to possess curative properties and thus, Sri Nanjundeshwara is also worshipped as bhavarogavaidya. Tippu Sultan called him Hakim Nanjunda and gifted an emerald Linga and a valuable emerald necklace as votive offerings for having cured his favourite elephant of an eye disease.
Timings:06.00 AM – 8.30 PMOn Special Days, Sundays and Mondays
06.00 AM – 01.30 PM and 04.00 PM – 09.00 PMon Other Days
Contact: 08221 223320
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
Just outside Srirangapatna, 4th from Srirangapatna, near Mysuru, the Cauvery river meanders around a string of tiny nesting sites of waterfowls. Experiences the excitement of a boat ride that takes you within touching distance of the birds as marsh crocodiles bask in the sun. Delight watching the winged visitors making happy forays into the water. You could also you’re your powers of observation by trying to spot flying branches of the tallest trees at dusk.
Best season: January to September
Flora and Fauna
River in the forest as well as some deciduous forests, bamboo, eucalyptus, figs, jamun and Karanji. Mammals and Reptiles. The flying fox, bonnet macaque, common otter, common mongoose, palm civet are some of the mammals and reptiles like marsh crocodile are found here.
Bird life includes the little cormorant, large cormorand, darter, white ibis, spoonbill, open-billed stork, painted stork, egret, heron, river term, great stone plover, kingfisher, Indian cliff swallow, and the lesser whistling teal.
Timings: 8.30 am to 6.00 pm
Entrance: Rs.50 for Indians, Rs. 200 for Foreigners
Distance: Mysuru -19km, Bangalore -128km
Contact: 94350 15419
The Railway Museum was established in 1979 by Indian Railways, the second such museum after the National Railway Museum in Delhi. The museum is opposite the Central Food Technology and Research Institute on Krishnaraja Sagar Road. It has locomotives and a gallery of photographs and paintings depicting the growth of railways in India. Railway signals and lights are also displayed. The museum has a battery-operated mini-train giving a short ride for children on the grounds.
Timings: 9.30 AM – 6.00 PM
Contact: 0821 286 6955
Situated in the unobtrusive village of Somanathpur, 35km from Mysuru, the exquisitely carved, star-shaped temple with triple towers is a perfect example of Hoysala architecture. The friezes on its outer walls with their intricately cared rows of caparisoned elephants, charging horsemen, and mythological birds and beasts will leave you spellbound. Beautifully sculpted images of gods, godesses and scenes from the epics, as well as the remarkable ornate celings in the pillared hall take your breath away.
Timings: 9.00 AM to 5.30 PM
Entrance Fee: Indians Rs.5, Child below 12 Yrs. Free, Foreigners Rs.100
Distance:Mysuru-35km, T.Narasipura – 10km, Maddur -60km, Bangalore -120km
This Art Gallery located to the west with a walking distance to that of main palace, which is famous Art Gallery. It was built during rule of Krishnaraja Wodeyar III in 1861 to celebrate the marriage of his daughter, the princess of Mysuru, because the main palace was destroyed in a fire in 1897. The main door of this Museum is it self a master piece of Art with intricate carvings which is said to have been made in just 70 days. The museum was officially started in 1915, and has since been expended adding many artifacts. This Art Gallery was linded to the famous Mysuru style of painting of rare original paintings and artiacts and entrusted the Administration of this Museum to a committee. The museum was named after sriJayachamrajendra Wodeyar in 1955 as Jaganmohn Palace Art Gallery.
The original oil paintings of Raja Ravi Varma of Travancore on display here are on many mythological themes.
The painting of lady holding the lamp of the Indian Artist S.G.Heldnker is another piece. The other Exhibits include Artifacts made from Glass, Ceramic and Metal.
A good collection of clocks is on display here. Few energravings from china and Japan give it an oriental charm, painting on silks from Japan are worth seeing. Another attraction is the display of paintings of various styles like Moghal, Rajputh give the museum the Artistic touch. Innumerable toys and Artifacts of various description (like the French musical calendar and religious bells from Nepal) makes a visit to this museum memorable.
Timings: 8.30 AM to 5.30 PM (Daily)
Entrance fee: Adults: Rs.20, Children(5- 10yrs):Rs.10
Contact: 0821 242 3693
The Kukkarahalli Lake is Located in Mysuru University Campus. This lake has inspired many local poets and writers. The views from the north shore is particularly attractive with the lake and its surrounding trees, the spire of the deputy commissioner’s offices rising above them and the low rise of the Chamundi Hill in the background. This lake is home to more than 180 species of birds, some of them aquatic. During the migratory season the lake plays host to a variety of winged visitors, some from as far as siberia. There is a 4.5 km walkway on the periphery of the lake with shaded stone benches for visitors to sit, relax and enjoy the scenic serenity of the lake.
Timings: 06.00 AM to 06.00 PM Free Entry
Bandipur National park
Tread the path of the erstwhile Maharajas of Mysuru with a visit to Bandipur, about 80 km south of Mysuru on the Mysuru-Ooty Road. The reserve is a playground for wildlife, with elephants taking the lead role. Be prepared for an unforegetable experience – you might see a tiger prowling admidst the mix of deciduous, evergreen forest and scrubland vegetation. Set against the picturesque backdrop of the enchanting Niligiri Mountains with its mist-covered peaks, Bandipur was once the Mysuru Maharaja’s private hunting ground. It was brought under Project Tiger in 1973. This is one of the best game sanctuaries in India to observe and photograph wildlife in close proximity. A temple perched atop Himvad Gopalaswamy Hill, the highest peak in the Bandipur range, is worth a visit.
Distance: Mysuru -80kms, Gundlupet -20kms, Bangalore -220kms, Ooty -60kms.
Location and Area:Chamarajnagar District: 874.2 sq.km. Bandipur is flanked by Karnataka’s Gandhi national Park (Nagarahole) to its northwest, Tamilnadu’sMudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary to its southwest. Together, these constitute the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
Flora and Fauna:Deciduous, evergreen and scrubland vegetation.
Mammals:They include the tiger, leopard, elephant, gaur, sloth bear, Asiatic wild dog, striped hyena, sambar, spotted deer, barking deer, mouse deer, mongoose, and the slender loris.
Reptiles:The common rat snake, Russell’s viper, common krait, Indian python, flying snake and the cobra can be seen.
Birds:Over 230 species of birds have been identified. Some of the most notable ones are the heron, stork, egret, kite, eagle, falcon, peafowl, lapwing, sandpiper, woodpecker, drongo and the warbler.
Timings: 9 AM – 6 PM, All Days except Sundays
Entrance Fee: Indians Rs.50, Foreigners Rs.150
Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace
Also known asDariyaDaulat Palace, the Summer Palace of Tipu Sultan is one of the main tourist attractions near Mysore, in Srirangapatna. While Tipu Sultan was ruling Mysore, for a small span of time, he had shifted his capital to Srirangapatna. However, after Tipu Sultan’s death in 1799, the British shifted back the capital to Mysore and made King Krishnaraja Wodeyar III, the ruler of Mysore. When Tipu Sultan was reigning the region, he had built the Summer Palace in Srirangapatna, which is an island in the Kavery River, around 14 km from Mysore.
Timings: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Entrance Fee: Indians Rs. 15, Foreigners Rs. 200.
Contact: 080 2670 6836