New Delhi: A 34-year-old soldier has tested positive for novel Coronavirus in Leh, Army sources said today.
As a precautionary measure, ten soldiers who shared a barrack with the infected soldier, have also been kept in quarantine. Meanwhile, around 800 men in Ladakh Regimental Centre have been kept under lock-down. This is the first COVID-19 case in the armed forces, Army sources said.
The soldier, a resident of Chuhot village in Leh came in contact with his father who had already contracted the infection after his return from a pilgrimage in Iran on Feb. 20 and is in quarantine since Feb. 29.
The soldier was on leave from Feb. 25 and rejoined duty on Mar. 2. He was quarantined on Mar. 7 and tested positive on Mar. 16, sources said.