This is with reference to the letter in Star of Mysore dated June 5 regarding common drain pipe from terrace and bathroom.
I appreciate the concern of the reader to provide work for jobless people by way of penalising others. Before penalising I would recommend the following:
- The authorities concerned should make sure the storm-water drainage is having a smooth water flow without blockages in the first place.
- Those connecting toilet / bath outflow direct to storm-water drain should be penalised and fix correction date before a reasonable time limit.
- Rain water from terrace should go to storm-water drainage having smooth flow. This pipeline is wet only during monsoon days and remain dry during other days. As a result rodents, snakes and pests make a free entry from street drainage into resident’s pipeline making a nice presence of them in terrace. So, carefully provide end cap strainer to block entry of hazardous pests into house.
- Exception to be given for drains of washing machine / terrace manual cloth washing / terrace garden / kitchen drains connection to sanitary line, since it is not hygienic to leave those into open street drainage.
– Sati Susi, Mysuru, 6.6.2021
You can also mail us your views, opinions, and stories to [email protected]