I would like to bring to your kind notice that the Organisers of one of the recent Exhibitions at Maharaja’s College Grounds have failed to follow the waste disposal/clearance protocol.
I visited an Expo with my family on a weekend and while I was engaged in buying the entrance tickets, I noticed my 5-year-old son had picked a blue coloured object out of curiosity and it had pricked him. On closer examination I realised he had picked up lancet needle and accidentally pricked himself.
Immediately, I washed his finger with running water kept at the entrance and inspected the site. I was shocked to see many more lancets disposed on the ground along with Accu-check strips, probably used during free health camps. Whoever has conducted the medical check-up camp, it is their utmost responsibility to take adequate measures to dispose dangerous medical wastes.
Now, because of the prick caused by irresponsible medical camp organisers my child has to take anti-retroviral medication and suffer the side affects.
It has also caused our family severe anxiety as we contacted more than a dozen doctors from Physicians, Paediatricians to Specialists in infection control, especially HIV, regarding preventive measures for the same.
In this regard, I have lodged a complaint with the District Health Officer (DHO), Mysuru, for further investigations.
If not checked now, such negligence by medical camp organisers will become a serious threat to public safety.
Hence, I urge the authorities concerned to take necessary action against people responsible for this act and prevent recurrences of such careless disposal of sharp, dangerous medical wastes.
– Dr. G. Aruna, Periodontist, Mysuru, 3.1.2020
You can also mail us your views, opinions, and stories to [email protected]