Mysuru: Two students travelling in a private school van had a miraculous escape when the van in which they were travelling caught fire and was completely gutted near Vijaya Bank Circle in Kuvempunagar here last afternoon.
The van was ferrying students of St. Joseph’s School to their homes and the driver of the van, identified as Yogesh, had dropped most of the students and was ferrying two students to their homes in Kuvempunagar at about 3.15 pm, when he noticed fire while proceeding on Vishwamanava Double Road. He immediately brought the van to a halt on the roadside and evacuated the two students to safety.
As soon as the students got down from the van and moved to a safe distance, the van was engulfed with flames and passersby informed Saraswathipuram Fire Brigade. Nagaraj, Shivaswamy and staff of Saraswathipuram Fire Brigade, who rushed to the spot, doused the fire and prevented the fire from spreading to other vehicles. But the van was completely gutted in the fire.
Meanwhile, Kuvempunagar Inspector Mahesh Kumar and staff, who visited the spot, conducted mahazar during which they came to know that short circuit in the engine of the van caused the fire.
The Police said that the van had a gas cylinder installed in the rear.