In a long journey by train, night travel is unavoidable. Night journey is easy and comfortable. One can sleep and reach the destination mostly early in the morning. I think the Railways have understood this and therefore provided night trains for the convenience of the travellers.
But the passengers should not feel unsafe in the night train. Therefore, I suggest the following measures to take care of night passengers after going through the letters in this column and having experienced the same plight while travelling in the night train.
- The Travelling Ticket Examiner (TTE) should be provided a place earmarked in each sleeper coach. There must be one TTE for each sleeper coach. Police personnel should be within his reach. He should possess a gadget to contact the Police without loss of time.
- The TTE should see that the doors are closed and opened only for the persons possessing reservation tickets.
- The hawkers should not be allowed inside the compartment for the supply of food etc., after 10 pm.
- Railways charge for Reservation and Sleeper tickets and therefore it is the bounden duty of the Railways to provide the above facilities to the passengers.
Hope the Railway authorities implement the above and make any other needful arrangements as early as possible for the safety and convenience of the travellers.
– Dr. H.S.R. Rao on email, J.P. Nagar, 14.8.2018
You can also mail us your views, opinions, and stories to [email protected]