‘Skilful students can generate jobs’

‘Skilful students can generate jobs’

August 5, 2019

Mysuru: Observing that skill development is an important issue these days in the backdrop of rapid strides in Science and Technology, University of Mysore (UoM) NSS Programme Co-ordinator Prof. B.S. Chandrashekar has said that highly skilful students can lead to the generation of jobs.

He was speaking after inaugurating National Skills Day (Rashtriya Kaushalya Diwas) jointly organised by the Department of Youth Services and Sports, Nehru Yuva Kendra, Department of Information and Public Relations and Credit – I Mysuru, at Vartha Bhavan on Dhanvantri Road here yesterday.

Regretting that though India has the biggest human resources in the world with a large number of educated youth, Prof. Chandrashekar expresses concern over poor quality of skills among the youth.

Stressing on the need for the country to move up on skill development index ladder, Prof. Chandrashekar said that Infosys founder N.R. Narayanamurthy had once said that only 35 percent Indian Engineers were employable, while the rest 65 percent lacked skills. Noting that if such a poor skill development was found among engineers, he wondered what would be the fate of non-technical graduates.

Noting that the Indian Government is celebrating World Skills Day in order to lessen the gap between studying and developing skills, he said that small necessitates of daily life can be met by developing skills.

Emphasising on the need for the students to acquire more than one skillset, he explained how acquiring skillsets will lead to advancement in careers.

Prof. M.S. Manonmani, faculty at Maharani’s First Grade Arts College for Women, in her address, pointed out that nature has provided us with very useful things and making good use of them was most important.

READ ALSO  Women's Hockey team of Mysore Varsity

Observing that CCPD skills play a vital role in the lives of every human being, she said that the first ‘C’ in CCPD meant Creativity, second C-Critical and PD- Problem Decision making.

Underlining the need for individual-level communication, Prof. Manonmani said that doing so will help in understanding ourselves and where we stand by in the society.

Department of Information and Public Relations Assistant Director R. Raju in his address, said that skills are vital in every stage of life and skillset is most important in doing even small things. 

Credit – I Director Dr. M.P. Varsha said that the undeserving gets most of the opportunities, while the deserving are deprived of the same.

Stressing on the need for setting goals at an young age, Dr. Varsha said that the children should be educated on making their own choice for their career.

Ballenahalli Government PU College Principal C.R. Dinesh, Nehru Yuva Kendra District Co-ordinator S. Siddaramappa and others were present during the occasion. 


Mysuru’s favorite and largest circulated English evening daily has kept the citizens of Mysuru informed and entertained since 1978. Over the past 41 years, Star of Mysore has been the newspaper that Mysureans reach for every evening to know about the happenings in Mysuru city. The newspaper has feature rich articles and dedicated pages targeted at readers across the demographic spectrum of Mysuru city. With a readership of over 2,50,000 Star of Mysore has been the best connection between it’s readers and their leaders; between advertisers and customers; between Mysuru and Mysureans.


Academy News Papers Private Limited, Publishers, Star of Mysore & Mysuru Mithra, 15-C, Industrial ‘A’ Layout, Bannimantap, Mysuru-570015. Phone no. – 0821 249 6520

To advertise on Star of Mysore, email us at

Online Edition: [email protected]
Print Editon: [email protected]
For News/Press Release: [email protected]