Most people know what Cydia is, but for those who have never used it, it is the largest third-party app store in the world. However, unlike most other app stores of this type, you need to jailbreak your device to get Cydia. It offers users tons of tweaks, libraries, modifications, and much more, allowing you to have your iOS device work exactly how you want it to.
Read on if you want to know more about how this cool app store works.
How to Download Cydia:
You can only install Cydia on your iPhone or iPad in one way – by installing a jailbreak. The Cydia Installation page offers full details of all the available jailbreaks, together with download links, supported firmware/architecture, and download guides. Simply choose the jailbreak that fits your device specifications and download it.
- Phoenix Jailbreak
- Checkra1n Jailbreak
- Unc0ver Jailbreak
How to Use Cydia:
Cydia is easy to use. When you open it, you will see the home page, with several options to choose from:
- Sources – see and edit the sources you have installed and install new ones
- Search – find the library, tweak, mod, etc., that you want installed on your device from the built-in sources
- Installed – see all the apps, tweaks, libraries, etc., that you installed
- Changes – install updates to all your installed content
Adding a New Repository to Cydia:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap Sources > Edit > Add
- Input the URL for the repository into the box
- Tap on Add Source and wait for the source to be installed
How to Download Tweaks:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap on Search and type in the name of the tweak you want
- Ensure it is supported on your device and tap Install
- Tap on Confirm and wait – when it is installed, tap Restart Springboard
How to Delete Tweaks from Cydia:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap Installed > Recent
- Tap the tweak name and tap Modify
- Tap Remove > Confirm and wait
- Tap on Restart Springboard and your tweak is removed
What Does Cydia Offer?
When Cydia was developed in 2008, it was designed to give you control of your device and, to that end, the developers provided all of the following:
- Themes – loads of themes to help you change how everything on your device looks
- Tweaks – tweak your icons, fonts, battery indicator, lock screen and more
- Apps – give existing features new functionality, including your lock screen, app switcher, icon layout, and much more
- Lock Screen Themes – a popular option, decide what you want to see on your lock screen and how it is laid out
We all know that Apple doesn’t agree with jailbreaking because they want to retain the restrictions they place on what you can and cannot do. With Cydia, you take that control back, installing libraries, mods, tweaks, and more to do what you want with your iPhone or iPad. Take apps like FaceTime, for example. On earlier devices, Apple restricted the app to Wi-Fi only but one small tweak in Cydia changes all that. It makes your device think it is on Wi-Fi when it is on data, allowing you to use Wi-fi only apps even on your data plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cydia may have been around for many years but not everyone knows what it is or how it works. These are the most popular questions asked about it:
What is Cydia?
Cydia is a third-party app store that lets you change how your device looks and feels and how many of the stock features work. It requires a jailbreak to work and offers libraries, mods, themes, tweaks, apps, and more. It was originally released in 2008 by Saurik, AKA Jay Freeman, to rival install.app, which was Apple’s first app store. Now it is incredibly popular and still enjoys millions of users each month.
Why Should I Download Cydia?
Because it is the only way to take control away from Apple on what you can and cannot do on your device. With Cydia, you get:
- Loads of tweaks and themes that let you change almost everything on your device
- Lots of tweaks to add new functionality and features to your existing features
- Add new features to stock apps and games
- Download tons of third-party modified games and apps
- Plenty of wallpapers, themes, ringtones, and more
Do I Need a Jailbreak?
Yes. Cydia requires root access to work and the only way you can get that is to jailbreak your device
Is it Free?
Yes. Just download a free jailbreak utility and Cydia is installed.
Is Cydia Safe?
Yes, but that is dependent on you only using the official jailbreak links provided on the Cydia download page. You should also stick to using only the pre-installed repositories to install your tweaks and apps too. While you can add others, you must be aware that they may contain malware or viruses, whereas the pre-installed ones are safe to use.
What are the Benefits of jailbreaking?
When you jailbreak your iPhone or iPad, Cydia is installed. With tons of mods, apps, tweaks, and more, you can easily have your device working in the way you want it to.
Is it Legal?
Yes. In 2012, the Library of Congress made a ruling that jailbreaking is legal in the US and now many other countries have followed suit.
Are the Tweaks Free?
Most of what you can download from Cydia is free, although some do charge. While you may only be charged a dollar or two for some tweaks, others are more expensive but you do not have to purchase anything – the freebies offer just about everything you could possibly want. You may also note that many developers add a Donate button on their website or app – again, you are under no obligation to do this.
What About Cydia Alternatives?
When Apple managed to bring jailbreaking to a halt with iOS, a string of Cydia alternatives quickly followed. Because you don’t jailbreak to install them, they don’t offer the full Cydia experience. However, you can get some tweaks and plenty of unofficial content and it’s all free. There are loads to choose from, including Panda Helper, TutuApp, and many more.
What is a Repository?
A repository is a storage place, where you will find libraries, apps, mods, tweaks and more. There are some already installed in Cydia and you can install others.
Cydia is simple enough to remove. You can restore your device using iTunes, which will put you on the newest firmware or you can install Cydia Impactor from Cydia. This will delete Cydia but allow you to retain your current firmware version.
With millions of users, Cydia is one of the most popular third-party app stores in the world and is the only way to get your device working how you want it. Try it on your iPhone or iPad today for free.