AltStore is the latest unofficial app store, offering users a completely different way of installing third-party apps on their iOS devices. It provides us with IPA files that Apple will not sign and allow into their store, with a great choice of apps and games, but it also lets you install IPA files that you download via the internet. It is completely free to use, and the best bit is, there’s no need to jailbreak either.
How to Download AltStore:
AltStore is a bit different from all the alternative app stores that came before it. For this one, your computer is required to get the app store onto your iPhone or iPad. . If you are using Windows, you must make sure you are using iTunes and iCloud from the official Apple sites – NOT from the Microsoft app store. You can use the links below to make sure you have the right ones:
Other than that, your iPhone or iPad must be on iOS 12.2 or above.
Method 1: Windows
- Once you have everything set up, download AltStore onto your Windows PC – it will be a Zip file
- Find the file and extract the contents
- Find and double-click the setup.exe file – the installation will begin
- Follow any instructions on your computer screen to complete the installation
- Once it’s finished, connect your device to your computer and unlock the device
- You may see a Trust This Computer message on your device; tap to accept it
- Launch iTunes and enable the Wi-Fi Sync option for your device
- Now go to your System Tray (bottom of your screen) and click on Install AltStore; click your device in the dropdown menu
- When you are asked to, type in your Apple ID and Password.
- AltStore will now be installed on your iPhone or iPad, and you will see the icon when it’s done.
- First, download AltStore onto your Mac computer from the links above
- Launch the app, and you will see it on your menu bar.
- Click the menu bar icon and click on Install Mail Plugin – now follow the instructions on your screen to install it.
- When it has installed, you need to restart your mail app.
- Now the Mail plugin must be enabled, so go to your Menu bar and click on Mail > Preferences.
- Click on Manage Plugins
- Enable the AltPlugin.mailbundle plugin
- Click on Apply and Restart Mail
- Now you can plug your iPhone or iPad into your Mac.
- Unlock your device and accept the Trust This Computer message if you get one
- If you are running macOS Mojave, launch iTunes and enable the connected device’s Wi-Fi Sync option.
- If you are running macOS Catalina, open iTunes, go to the summary page for your device and enable the option to Show This iPhone When on Wi-Fi.
- Now go to your menu bar and click on AltStore.
- Click on Install AltStore and then on your device in the dropdown menu.
- Type in your Apple ID and Password when asked to and wait; AltStore will be installed on your iPhone or iPad.
How to Fix Untrusted Developer Error:
When you try to use AltStore for the first time, you will likely see an Untrusted Developer Error message. This is nothing to worry about; it is just Apple telling you that they cannot trust an unofficial app. You can, just by following these easy steps:
- The error message will give you the developer name, note this, and cancel the message.
- Open your iOS Settings app.
- Tap on General and go to Profiles and Device Management
- Find the developer name and tap it.
- Tap on the Trust button and close Settings
Now you can use AltStore to download your apps and games.
How to use AltStore:
Using AltStore is pretty simple:
- Open AltStore and go to the IPA library.
- Choose an app or game and tap to install it.
- Alternatively, download any IPA file you want from a reputable source on the internet.
- Launch AltStore on your device
- Tap on My Apps and tap the + icon (top left of the screen)
- Choose your file from the list and tap on it.
- If requested, type your Apple ID and password in, and the app will start installing – this may take a few minutes.
- When it’s installed, you can access it from your home screen and My Apps in AltStore.
Be aware that the apps must be refreshed every seven days; otherwise, they will be revoked. Re-signing them is simple; open AltStore, tap on My Apps, and tap on x days beside it.
AltStore is the latest unofficial app store to be released and, although it requires your computer, it does work very well, and it does offer you a varied choice of apps and games to download. Try it today; it could become your go-to app store.