Mysuru: Refusing to move away from their own house in Periyapatna to a rented place in Mysuru, an 88-year-old man and his 80-year-old wife committed suicide by consuming pesticide yesterday.
This heart-rending incident took place at Koppa village near Periyapatna and it came to light late last evening.
The couple has been identified as Rajagopal and his wife Aparna. They hailed from a well-to-do family and had their own house near Koppa Bus Stand.
Over three generations have lived in the house and according to villagers, the couple was unwilling to shift elsewhere.
Rajagopal and Aparna have a daughter and two sons. While their daughter has been given in a marriage to a person in Tumakuru, one of their sons is a resident of Mysuru and the other son lives in Bengaluru.
According to the Police and family members, the couple was very attached to each other. Two months back, Aparna was diagnosed with heart problem and she was admitted to a hospital in Mysuru. After she was discharged, she had to come to Mysuru for multiple check-ups.
Meanwhile, the couple’s children advised their parents to shift to Mysuru as they were old and cannot travel frequently. Though the aged couple was reluctant, they eventually agreed to shift. The son who was living in Mysuru had rented a small house at Srirampura for the couple to live.
The entire family had come to Srirampura 20 days back and had formally performed rituals including “haalu ukkisuvudu” (making boiling milk overflow that is considered auspicious before occupying a house) and had decided to occupy the house after Ashada.
As a rented place was booked at Srirampura, the couple’s children sold the house in Koppa. Family members said that the couple was to vacate the house in another three days giving it to the buyer.
Fearing that they would not be able to lead a city life and refusing to leave their roots where generations of the family lived and thrived, the couple consumed pesticide yesterday afternoon.
The incident came to light in the evening when some servants visited the house.
While Aparna’s body was found lying on a bed, Rajagopal’s body was found inside the bathroom where he had vomited. The couple had consumed the insecticide that was to be used to control jowar pests.
Shocked by the incident, servants called up the children and the Police were alerted.
Hundreds of villagers had assembled at the house this morning and arrangements were being made to cremate the husband and wife in a single pyre.