Plasma Collection Unit opens in city
Coronavirus Update, COVID-19, News

Plasma Collection Unit opens in city

September 26, 2020

Mysore/Mysuru: Mysuru Urban Development Authority (MUDA) Chairman H.V. Rajeev inaugurated Plasma Collection Centre at ‘Jeevandhara’ Blood Bank, near Ayurveda Circle here yesterday.

Speaking on the occasion, he said plasma has assumed great importance now with COVID-19 spreading its tentacles all over the world, and claiming lives of lakhs of people in the last six to seven months. Those who have recovered from the pandemic must come forward to donate plasma as it saves lives of others. 

Of late, the number of Corona positive cases is increasing and this can be checked if more and more Corona positive recovered patients donate plasma. People have to change their lifestyle and wear face mask, use sanitiser frequently and maintain safe distance to check the spreading of Corona.

Rajeev said that the recovered patients hesitate to donate plasma due to fear in them. Need of the hour is to create awareness in them that nothing will happen if they donate plasma as it will help to save lives of other patients. The citizens must be careful as the pandemic is not sparing anyone including politicians, engineers or doctors.

Dr. S.E. Girish, Director of Jeevandhara Blood Bank, said that plasma is the liquid portion of blood. About 55 percent of our blood is Plasma, and the remaining 45 percent are red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets that are suspended in the plasma. The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has said Corona patients will recover if plasma collected from the recovered patients is given to them. Collection of plasma is one-and-a-half hour process and making it ready will take another two-and-a-half hours. Only 450 ML to 500 ML is collected from each person. It costs Rs. 8,000 for collection of plasma from each and another Rs. 3,000 towards maintenance cost. 

READ ALSO  On PM's COVID-19 Appeal… India to turn off lights for 9 minutes at 9 tonight

The plasma is sold to public at Rs. 11,000. There is a thinking to give it free of cost in the future. “We had got license to run plasma unit eight years ago but now we have started unit,” he added.

He appealed to the District Health Officer (DHO) to provide them with a list of recovered COVID-19 patients so that they could personally convince them to donate plasma in the interest of the suffering patients. The Government will pay Rs. 5,000 as incentive for those who donate plasma voluntarily.

“There will be absolutely no side effects. We will try to remove wrong notion prevailing in the minds of people about plasma donation and make them to save lives of serious patients”.

On this occasion, a woman voluntarily donated plasma.

City BJP Unit President T.S. Srivatsa, Blood Bank Director Dr. C.G. Mutthanna, DTS Foundation President D.T. Prakash, BJP leader Dr. Anil Thomas and others were present.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Plasma Collection Unit opens in city”

  1. Concerned Citizen says:

    Eleven (11) people in the picture and ONLY three (3) are wearing masks!!

    This an article about COVID-19 and less than 30% of the people in the picture are doing the right thing by properly wearing a mask. At this rate we will be extremely lucky to get through this pandemic.

    IF I were a COVID-19 recovery patient I will never show up at a place with so many negligent people.

ABOUT

Mysuru’s favorite and largest circulated English evening daily has kept the citizens of Mysuru informed and entertained since 1978. Over the past 41 years, Star of Mysore has been the newspaper that Mysureans reach for every evening to know about the happenings in Mysuru city. The newspaper has feature rich articles and dedicated pages targeted at readers across the demographic spectrum of Mysuru city. With a readership of over 2,50,000 Star of Mysore has been the best connection between it’s readers and their leaders; between advertisers and customers; between Mysuru and Mysureans.

CONTACT

Academy News Papers Private Limited, Publishers, Star of Mysore & Mysuru Mithra, 15-C, Industrial ‘A’ Layout, Bannimantap, Mysuru-570015. Phone no. – 0821 249 6520

To advertise on Star of Mysore, email us at

Online Edition: [email protected]
Print Editon: [email protected]
For News/Press Release: [email protected]